Monday, January 7, 2013

"Resolutions" :: My plans for 2013

I'm not really sure if I would call them resolutions, but I certainly have plenty of plans and thoughts on what I would like to accomplish this next year....especially when it comes to this little happy place of mine and our crazy, out of control house. {as in how in the world did we come to own so much stuff??}. I have broken down my plans into some smaller goals. 



 I want to try to live more simply, but with more beauty. I want to make sure the items I am purchasing are things that I truly find beautiful and that hold a purpose.  Sometimes I get so caught up in all the things I want to change in a certain space of ours, I lose sight of how sometimes, change can come in just the smallest of forms...like adding a small basket to house towels. 



We have now been in our new home for a little under a year. We have unpacked everything, arranged {and rearranged!} things, and we now desperately need to organize things. My plan is to tackle at least one area a week, working towards it a little bit each day. I'd love to show some of the before and afters on here, because I don't know about you, but I can never get enough of a good organization system :)






Some organizational projects are going to take longer because of the size of them, like my new work area. Right before Christmas, I started to move all of my stuff into a section of our living room from our garage. Our house is currently an explosion of craft and party supplies, while I try to find room for everything in its new home. Right now I am currently dreaming of spaces like these:





 Since I want to focus more on adding smaller touches to our home, that means cutting out some of the bigger projects. My hope is to focus on one larger project at a time. (instead of starting a bunch of projects at once)

This first major one that I want to tackle is the boy's room, which is in an insane amount of need for love. It's a hot mess....when we moved in here, I got rid of a lot of the things from their previous room because they just weren't interested in it anymore, so now their room is just bare, bare, bare. {and plenty ugly}. Totally inspired by these spaces:



There is also a little section off of our master bathroom that is a vanity area, that I would just love to fix up a little. I'm thinking beautiful girly things like these:

{no known source}

{no known source}

Also, our powder room downstairs {the one that all our guests see} is crying out for some help. 
Wouldn't something like this be beautiful??







Also, I want to be more bold in my design choices for our home. I am a girl who loves grays and whites with lots of textures, and our house is in need of some FUN.


 I love pattern, but surprisingly don't use a whole lot in our house. 



And of course, there are a couple of past projects that I would like to revisit and "tweak" a bit. 

I am just dying to fix the skirt of the bottom of our banquette with a little detail, maybe like this one:


I also, want to switch up the art in our Family Room. Although I love the gallery wall, once we got it up on the wall, I just knew it was wrong for the space. It just seems too busy for a room already full of pattern and activity. I am thinking a larger, abstract piece that really ties together all the colors in the space. 



{no source with first image} / 2  




This one has to do with my blog and my Etsy store front. I kind of just started both on a whim last year, and haven't dedicated nearly the amount of time I would like to to either of them. I am so excited to nail down a look this year, and to expand on the parties and other items I have in my store. On top of party printables, I am really looking forward to offering printed versions of many of the items I have in the shop. I have already started dreaming about the branding. 



Wow, it really looks like I have my work cut out for me :)

2013 will be my year ;-)

I am so excited to see where this year takes me!!


xo,
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment