Wednesday, April 3, 2013

One Room at a Time :: Family Room Plans

Now that we finally have our kitchen under control, I have been redirecting my attention to the Family Room. 
You may remember our complete redo of the space here. I left you with it looking like this:


The built in desks have been working better than I could have imagined, with the kids pumping out art work like it's their job:




The only problem? Their desks tend to look like this more often than not:

{and I'm not even showing you the really bad stuff!}

The main thing I want to address in this room is really organizing their art supplies and desktops. Now that we have had this layout for a few months I have really been able to see what is working and what is not. 

The next thing I had planned on changing was the gallery wall. Although I loved it in theory, having it up with all the other elements in the room always seemed too busy to me. 

Then something happened. In a recent complete-house rearranging marathon (what? you don't move stuff around constantly?!), we switched the sofa from our living room and placed it in the family room. The space now currently looks like this:


I don't know if it's the gray of the sofa, or the fact that there aren't as many pillows being seen, but I sorta fell back in love with the gallery wall! I do, however, want to switch out some of the art (maybe even add more??).

Other projects I have on the brain for this room:
curtains for the smaller window 
redo a book rack I found at goodwill
update the magnetic wall where their artwork goes
do something to fill up the empty space above the shelves 
recover the bean bags (this one really scares me & I'm not sure if it's really in my sewing capabilities!)
Figure out a solution to the jacket/shoe issue we have at the back door

Honestly, all the projects I have planned should be pretty simple - it's mostly organizing one of the most used rooms in our house. 

I am excited to take over this project a little differently than I have in the past - by sharing with you what I do as I do them, one project at a time. I think a lot of times I get caught up with the big "reveal" that I leave out a lot of the smaller details that go into making it happen because I think that no one would want to read about them. But you know what? Some of the blog posts that I enjoy reading the most are just that - the little things. 

Thanks for reading :)

xo,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment