Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Photo Advent Calendar

I wanted to share a little tradition that we have been doing for the past year or so. It started out as a simple decoration, but has since evolved into our advent calendar.
 
About 2 years ago, I saw this lovely photo in a magazine where they strung up white lights inside in the shape of a tree. I loved it so much we did it that year, and it instantly became a keeper.
 
 
The lights are hung up at the base of our stairs and cast a really nice, soft glow. Alone, they created a simple and modern decoration.
 
Last year, we added "ornaments" out of scrapbook paper. I then also created initial ornaments out of yarn and foam board. Each one of us has an initial on the tree.

 
To create the advent part of the tree, I cut scrapbook paper into small squares and added number onto the backs using my Cricut machine.


 
Every day the kids get to turn over a square to reveal a picture of past holidays.

 
The kids absolutely love seeing picture of themselves when they were babies. I started with the date 25 and have been working down {we are currently down to day 10}. This gives me plenty of room to add a picture or two each year :)

 
This is one of our favorite holiday traditions! What does your family do to countdown??
 
 
xo,
Rachel
 
 
Linking Up....
 
 
Christmas LinkUp

No comments:

Post a Comment