Friday, January 18, 2013

Freebie Friday :: DIY Abstract Calendar


Hello!
Last week while I was in the hospital with Boo, I thought of an idea to create a 12 month calendar that was essentially blank so that the kids could create their own artwork on it for me. I've been really inspired by all the calendars I have seen around lately that have been hung like artwork in a gallery setting. 

So, I started by designing and printing off 12 pages of simple, monthly calendars:


I laid out our art tablecloth, some water color paints {although I seriously debated giving them acrylic paint, because then I could make a more cohesive color scheme :) } and a variety of brushes. 


I painted a few with them, and I have to say it made me realize I don't sit down enough with them when they paint. They really watched what I was doing and I could tell they were just soaking it all in. 

In the end we were left with 11 beautiful (and one very, very black) months to hang up. I hung them all  above my desk with washi tape to create more of an impact than just hanging one. 








I'm not sure if this is something I will keep up after we do some rearranging here in the next month or two, but for now I really enjoy the color it brings to the space. {and how it almost distracts you from the ugly, blah tan walls our house is painted. Ugh. }

Of course, you could take this calendar in a million different directions - inspirational quotes, photos, or your own artwork :)

Best part? You can download it HERE to make your own - FOR FREE!

Happy Friday!

xo,
Rachel


Linking Up.....

Grab a button!

No comments:

Post a Comment