Monday, November 5, 2012

Ikea Storage Box DIY

Hello friends :)
I don't know about you, but I am kind of excited to put all the Halloween decorations back in their boxes and have a little break before true holiday madness sets in! I am excited to be dedicating this week to our Family Room redo. So many diy projects went into this that I CANT WAIT to share them with you :)
One of the very first projects that I did involved redoing an existing Ikea toy storage bin that we already owned (and already redid, ha!). Truthfully, I was ready to throw the thing away. We had already gotten a good two years use out of it, and I just couldn't see anyway of making it work in this room. But, the funny thing is...I couldn't get rid of it because it stored our Duplo blocks just perfectly. Nothing else we owned did the trick, so it had to stay.
The box is from Ikea. It's a pretty decent size and under $15 (!).

It's pretty basic on it's own, but the hack-ability is limitless.

We bought it for our kid's previous family room, which was Seuss themed. So by the time I got to redoing it for this project, it looked like this:



As you can see, I already my work cut out for me!

After a couple of coats of high gloss black spray paint, and some extra fabric I had lying around from a previous project, the box now looks like this:


I first measure the inserts and then cut my fabric to fit.


I adhered the fabric to the box with spray adhesive.


...see? Fits the blocks perfectly ;)



This project was pretty simple, and free since I already had everything on hand. An alternative to the fabric would be to paint a stencil design or to use decorate wrapping paper.



Love this project! It almost makes me want to buy another one to put somewhere else :)

What Ikea hacks have you done lately?



Happy Monday!

xo,
Rachel


Linking Up...



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! It looks so high-end -- seriously, this is an awesome makeover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You!! It's amazing what you come up with when you have no other choice, right?!

      Delete
  2. I think I may have to stop by my Ikea and get this box!! (Yes, it is MY Ikea, because I am pretty much there all the time!! :) ) I wonder how much it will hold, though. I may get 2!! :)

    Kim from solaceamidthechaos.blogspot.com

    PS: Visiting from I Heart Organizing!! So glad I found ya!

    ReplyDelete