Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Homemade Crayons Gift

 
I'm excited to share with you over the next few days a little series I'm doing,
 
 
The first on our list this year was coming up with something the kids could make. Typically every year, I take them each separately to create something to give to the other two as their Christmas gift. (last year we made sidewalk chalk and bouncy balls). This year I wanted the kids to make a gift for some of their friends, and I just knew that crayons would be the way to go.

 
We always save our broken crayons to use with the kid's crayon maker, so we had plenty to use.
 
The first step is the worst: unpeeling all those crayons! The kid's were awesome and actually stuck it out a lot longer than I thought they would.


 
We decided for this project to separate them by colors.

 
Next, Jason chopped them into 1/2" pieces.
 
 

 
I wanted to make them into fun shapes, so I bought this Wilton silicon baking sheet in a "daisy" shape.
 
 
Our 'recipe' called for placing them in the 250 degree oven for 10 minutes. Worked like a charm. Once they were hardened, I popped them out to cool.

 
I was already over the moon with how these turned out.
 
 I knew I wanted to package them really cutely, so I started by purchasing some blank drawing pads at the dollar store.

 
I wrapped them up in kraft paper and tied different colored yarn I had around it several times. I was inspired by this gift  , so I really wanted it to be bright and colorful.
 
When it came to displaying the crayons, I had two different ways that I wanted to try out. The first way, I stacked them up and tied them together with twine.



 
I really wanted the crayons to be on display, so the second time around, I attached them right to the outside of the gift with command foam squares.





 
I am really pleased with how they turned out. I am in love with the way the second way turned out, but Jason likes the first one best.
 
Which one do you like?
 
 
xo,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I love how the second one covers more of the package with bright colors...But I really love the stacked ones! And I love the Handmade By stamp on it!

    ReplyDelete