Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Freebie :: DIY Chalkboard Labels



Thanks to everyone that came over and checked out my blog from A Thoughtful Place

Today I wanted to share with you how I made all the chalkboard labels that I used on our pantry jars seen here. This project was super easy, and I am sure that there are a ton of different ways to do it. I chose this method because I love spray painting.  Combine that with a love of contact paper, and this project was an all time favorite for me :)


You see, for this project, I really wanted to use these chalk labels from Martha Stewart. In fact, I even bought a pack. But I would have needed to get more packs and different sizes to accomplish what I needed.  Spending $30 on some labels does not sound like a good idea to me. Especially when I knew I could do it myself!!

First, I bought some chalk board spray paint and gathered up the rest of my supplies.


Since I was testing this whole method out, I only cut out a small piece (about 2' x 18"). The next part is not fancy: I used painters tape to tape the ends to two boxes. This is because if you left it flat against a surface to paint, it would then stick to it. I suppose you could use painters tape all around the edges, but I hate using up product if I don't have to. I'm pretty cheap like that ;)

It took me only ONE coat. Wowzers.



1. Using my template I made, I traced around the edges on the back of the contact paper
2. I cut a long strip down the length of the paper and folded it a few times (3 times max), so I could cut multiple at the same time (yes, I am cheap and lazy!)
3. Cut along your tracing
4. Write on your labels before placing them on the jar-it's easier to write then



Peel and stick!:


I LOVED this project, and really the possibilities are endless: you could make dinosaur shaped labels, you could make a huge one and stick it to the wall......

I barely tapped into my spray paint with this project, and I have a ton of labels left over.

Wanna try it yourself? Well, today's Freebie Friday are the templates I used to create mine:


Just go HERE to download the templates, print them up on cardstock, and cut out!

I hope you do something amazing with them:)


Have a great weekend!! I hope to have the Jungle party ready to show next week, so keep an eye out!


xo,
Rachel



Linking Up.....

The Celebration Shoppe

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this. Thanks so much for sharing an easy and cheaper way to do this! :)

    ReplyDelete